As of December 2017, approximately 45 miles of levees and floodgates along the Morganza to the Gulf alignment from Cut Off to Bayou Dularge are permitted, under construction, or completed – all with only local and state funding.
$450 million in local and state funds have been invested to date in the Morganza system, and projects totaling $500 million are in the planning phase.
Progress on local and state construction of levees, floodgates and the Houma Navigation Canal Lock along the Morganza to the Gulf (MTG) Hurricane Protection System alignment is listed below.
Descriptions are from east to west along the federal MTG alignment.
Updated: December 1, 2017
- Lockport to Larose
- North Lafourche Levee District is conducting planning and design for the interim alignment of the intersection with the South Lafourche Levee District seawall
- Reaches K and L (Pointe-aux-Chenes to Cut Off)
- South Lafourche Levee District and the State of Louisiana have entered into an agreement to construct the first lift of Reach K on the Apache Farm near the intersection of the South Lafourche Levee.
- Grand Bayou is being dredged to prepare for the first lift of Reach K
- Grand Bayou Floodgate and Bayou Bleu Tanner Floodgate are in design.
- Pointe-aux-Chenes Floodgate was completed in August 2017
- Reach J3 – Completed
- Reach J1 – Terrebonne Levee and Conservation District (TLCD) is rehabilitating this levee to a height of 12 feet.
- Reach J2 – Rehabilitated from Pointe-aux-Chenes to Montegut
- Reach I – TLCD is rehabilitating this levee from Humble Canal to Bayou Terrebonne
- Reaches H – E (Bayou Dularge) – all levee segments and floodgates completed
- Houma Navigation Canal “Bubba Dove” Floodgate – Completed in 2013
- Houma Navigation Canal Lock
- LA CPRA approved funding for the $366 million lock complex in 2017.
- Design is 60 percent complete
- Construction expected to begin in 2018
- Lower Dularge Levee East – advertising for bids for raising of levee
- Lower Dularge Levee West to Reach B
- Dularge Levee West is being lifted
- Tie-in levees connecting Falgout Canal “Jimmy Dageate” Floodgate with Lower Dularge Levee West and Reach B are under construction
- Falgout Canal “Jimmy Dagate” Floodgate – Under Construction, anticipated completion in 2019
- Reach B (Falgout Canal to Marmande Ridge) – In Design
- Reach A – Planning Phase
- Gulf Intracoastal Waterway Floodgate – Planning Phase
- Minors Canal to Gibson/Bayou Black Floodgate (western tie-in) – levee rehabilitation has been conducted