The Morganza to the Gulf Hurricane Protection Project provides many benefits to our community and environment:
- 100-year level of storm surge protection (Category 3 hurricane)
- Links hurricane protection with coastal restoration
- Reduces saltwater intrusion, and improves hydrology by allowing water to move between the interior and exterior marshes of the system
- Improves or protects over 1,700 square miles of coastal wetlands in Terrebonne Parish
- Mitigation plan will create an additional 1,352 acres of coastal marsh
- Morganza-to-the-Gulf is included in the 2012 Louisiana Master Plan for Coastal Protection and Restoration
- Protects vital national infrastructure, including 9,300 miles of pipelines and billions of dollars of infrastructure
- Protects the Houma-Thibodaux, LA metropolitan area, home to hundreds of national, international, and regional businesses that support the global energy industry and Port Fourchon.
- Reduces flood damages, insurance claims, and flood insurance costs.
Energy that fuels this nation. Seafood that feeds the world. A culture and environment like no other. Terrebone and Lafourche Parishes and their 200,000 residents are worth saving. Our best hope for survival is the Morganza-to-the-Gulf Hurricane Protection System.